That’s probably not the best title but hey, what can I do? I seriously suck so bad coming up with actual titles for things. Like I don’t even have real titles for any of my own books! ^_^’
I feel like this could be an endless discussion post and even a pretty common one but I think it’s always appropriate, especially with the rise in technology and other companies coming out with tech pads whose sole purpose isn’t for reading (like the Kindle or Nook).
I own a Kindle Fire. My husband bought it for me for Christmas the first year we were married. I toyed with it because it was just a new device for me to play with but then I sort of slushed it off to the side because I had all these physical books to read. Then I started getting a few ARCs sent directly to my Kindle and now I pick my Kindle up almost as frequently as any other physical book.
Pros for my Kindle are:
- SO MANY BOOKS in one place on one device. I think my Kindle is an 8 GB (I can’t remember)
- Colors! Since it’s a Fire, it’s basically a tablet so I get color pictures!
- Reading in the dark. I can adjust the brightness and change the background so I don’t even need a light to read!
- Lightweight! This kind of goes along with so many books on once device. Instead of hauling around a huge book (say… Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas), I get this lightweight and compact device.
- Reading multiple books at once. Of course, you can do that with physical copies but how easy is it to carry multiple books with you versus carrying one device?
- Battery life! My Kindle will last a few days with much use but of course, if it dies when I’m in the middle of a book or if I’m out and about, I don’t have anything to do!
- Obsolete. Eventually, my Kindle Fire will become obsolete. It’s actually an older device regardless (and I’ve been thinking about getting a new one) but I think it may eventually die… Books don’t die!
- Aesthetics. Physical books are nice to look at. They look pretty just about anywhere. I mean, I have three shelves holding my books (not all of them, haha). My Kindle Fire is pretty plain and it comes it one color…black! A newer version of the Kindle comes in 4 colors though.
- Not easy to photograph! Can you see that glare in both the photos? Haha. I find it incredibly difficult trying NOT to get a glare on it! Not much luck…
Do you own an e-reader? How do you like it compared to physical copies of books? Discuss! I would love to see the e-reader love though. ❤